Monday, July 16, 2012


“Don’t wait to be inspired,” my grade nine English teacher wrote on the green chalk board of room 136. “Impulse, not inspiration, is what makes a writer write.”   

THREE PRE-IMPULSES

One.

My seven-year-old niece: I love butterflies. I watch them. Even the monarchs are so beautiful.
Me: I think so too. And you know what I can’t get over? How a butterfly starts out as a caterpillar.
Niece: And moths...
Me: Moths, too?
Niece: Moths start out as itch worms.
Me: What’s an itch worm?
Niece: An itch worm... is a little worm... where if it bites you... then it’s itchy for the rest of your life.
Me: Whoa. I never heard of an itch worm before. Where did you learn about them?
Niece: I learned it from myself when I was a baby.

Two:

My stepdad: Let’s heat up some of those... oh, what the hell are they. Spinach pies.
Me: Spanikopitas?
Stepdad: That’s it. Spaniko-pitas. I was confusing them with those other things.
Me: Which ones?
Stepdad: I knew you were going to ask me that. Shit, I’m trying to remember. Pause. What are those little triangles that come from the east?
Me: Samosas?
Stepdad: Samosas! Fuck, are they ever good.

Three:

Walking past my aunt while she’s watching TV.

My aunt: That was weird.
Me: What?
Aunt: Plants have ESP.
Me: Really?   
Aunt: That’s what “Weird or What” says. 


No comments:

Post a Comment